ON THE CLOCK: none
ON DECK: none
I realized I was over-thinking the draft event. No need for Doodles or coordinating 20 families to be in the same virtual place at the same time. This is just two rounds, so there is plenty of time to handle this asynchronously through this forum.
The procedure is as follows:
Using a random generator, I determined that this will be the order for our two-round draft:
1. Hitter Squad B — Battin' Rouge King Cake Babies (Watson/Metairie, LA)
2. Pitcher Squad B — Tree Town Ninjas (Rozek/Ann Arbor, MI)
3. Hitter Squad G — Minnehahas (Edwards/Minneapolis, MN)
4. Hitter Squad H — Short Pump Pancake Breakfasts (Davidson/Richmond, VA)
5. Hitter Squad A — Owensboro Sluggers (Henry/Owensboro, KY)
6. Hitter Squad P — Staerker Stars (Staerke/Glenmont, NY)
7. Pitcher Squad A — Indiana Jones (Makice/Bloomington, IN)
8. Hitter Squad I — Thurber-Mingus Thunder Chickens (Christian/Frisco, TX)
9. Hitter Squad F — Honey Nut Ichiros (Sarver/Everett, WA)
10. Pitcher Squad C — Maryland Ninjas (Rose/Washington, D.C.)
11. Hitting Squad O — Greenwood Aglets (Reese/Greenwood, DE)
12. Hitting Squad S — Fishers Creepers (Gibbs/Fishers, IN)
13. Hitting Squad J — Awesome City Hardballers (Hardy/Redmond, WA)
14. Pitcher Squad F — Hillsborough Bombers (Idenden/Hillsborough, NJ)
15. Hitter Squad D — Butler Bounty Hunters (Krahn/El Dorado, KS)
16. Hitter Squad R — Deep River Circles (Garmendez/Round Rock, TX)
17. Hitter Squad L — Fairport Lally Gaggers (Lally/Fairport, NY)
18. Pitcher Squad T — Maryland Blue Crabs (Crossett/Eldersburg, MD)
19. Hitter Squad M — Chicago Hot Dogs (Harmon/Naperville, IL)
20. Hitter Squad K — Grand Theft Votto (Carpenter/Ripley, OH)
NOTE: For Round Two, we can safely split into two tracks for drafting the remaining pitching and hitting squads. Once the previous team needing hitting has selected, the next team needing hitting is free to draft. Same for pitching. The scheduled time slots will remain, but we should be able to complete this draft ahead of schedule.
21. Pitcher Squad J — Grand Theft Votto (Carpenter/Ripley, OH)
22. Pitcher Squad P — Chicago Hot Dogs (Harmon/Naperville, IL)
23. Hitter Squad C — Maryland Blue Crabs (Crossett/Eldersburg, MD)
24. Pitcher Squad L — Fairport Lally Gaggers (Lally/Fairport, NY)
25. Pitcher Squad G — Deep River Circles (Garmendez/Round Rock, TX)
26. Pitcher Squad D — Butler Bounty Hunters (Krahn/El Dorado, KS)
27. Hitter Squad Q — Hillsborough Bombers (Idenden/Hillsborough, NJ)
28. Pitcher Squad O — Awesome City Hardballers (Hardy/Redmond, WA)
29. Pitcher Squad E — Fishers Creepers (Gibbs/Fishers, IN)
30. Pitcher Squad S — Greenwood Aglets (Reese/Greenwood, DE)
31. Hitter Squad N — Maryland Ninjas (Rose/Washington, D.C.)
32. Pitcher Squad H — Honey Nut Ichiros (Sarver/Everett, WA)
33. Pitcher Squad N — Thurber-Mingus Thunder Chickens (Christian/Frisco, TX)
34. Hitter Squad T — Indiana Jones (Makice/Bloomington, IN)
35. Pitcher Squad R — Staerker Stars (Staerke/Glenmont, NY)
36. Pitcher Squad I — Owensboro Sluggers (Henry/Owensboro, KY)
37. Pitcher Squad K — Short Pump Pancake Breakfasts (Davidson/Richmond, VA)
38. Pitcher Squad Q — Minnehahas (Edwards/Minneapolis, MN)
39. Hitter Squad E — Tree Town Ninjas (Rozek/Ann Arbor, MI)
40. Pitcher Squad M — Battin' Rouge King Cake Babies (Watson/Metairie, LA)
|Available Pitching||Available Hitting|
For its first pick, the Battin' Rouge King Cake Babies select Hitter Team #2.
Cabrera and Upton (the B.J. edition) are now gone.
Was there a particular player or quality about this hitting roster you liked over the other 19 options?
I'd read good things about Cabrera, so I thought he'd be a good pickup. There also appear to be some good up-and-comers.
My son liked that there was a Detroit player (he was born in Michigan and, though we lived only two months there and haven't been back, has some Michigan pride). He also liked that there's a Royals player (my wife is from KC, and my son and I have been to more Royals games than any other Major League team).
We're looking forward to the start of the season! Should be exciting!
With the second pick in the draft, the Tree Town Ninjas select Pitching Roster B.
The Minnehahas will take Hitting Roster G . . .
Jose Bautista (hopefully) will be a good tent-pole player, especially with a HIGH OBP.
I would love to have taken a roster with a MN Twin or two, but Mauer just hasn't been consistent enough the past two seasons.
The Davidson franchise - henceforth known as the Short Pump Pancake Breakfasts - selects hitting roster H. Adrian Gonzalez is a beast, Mike Trout could be ROY, and there aren't any Yankees I will have to root for.
I got to see Gonzalez play in the minors on a great solo baseball trip in 2001. He hit a grand slam on the 4th of July, as I recall, and I signed him the next day to my keeper league.
Plus in Fenway Park, he's learned to use the Green Monster to his advantage, like Wade Boggs used to do. One quick thing, Kevin... it's SHORT Pump, not South Pump. Thanks!
Hoping we'll stay ahead of the listed schedule. Just to be clear, though, Staerker can make their first round selection as of noon eastern (if not on the clock sooner). Owensboro would officially be skipped at that point.
If you have worries about being skipped, find a proxy to show up at your appointed time, or send me a short list with enough options to cover the picks (including skips) between the current pick and your draft slot.
With the fourth pick in the draft, Owensboro Sluggers select Hittern Team A due to my son's love of Albert Pujols. (Hopefully, he doesn't have issues adjusting to AL pitching this year!)
We are excited about Wieters for Baltimore, Jay Bruce for the Reds, Josh Willingham for the Twins, and Nick Markakis for the Orioles. Somehow we ended up with two Orioles and two Rockies and two Twins. Thankfully, NO YANKEES! (Incidentally, I am a Cleveland Indian fan.)
The Staerker Stars choose the Hitting Roster P.
I was told by my young teammates to get Derek Jeter. So, I got him and others. they will be happy.
After much debate, Indiana Jones is going with Pitching Squad A.
We definitely wanted pitching first, but there wasn't a particular option among these squads that stood out. Wanted Strasburg, King Felix, or perhaps Rivera and that great bullpen. In the end, we went with a serviceable closer combo and possibly the best 1-2-3 in this league (Halladay, Cueto, Billingsley)